|S-Boats in the Federal Navy - Class 149|
S-Boat Class 149 ("Silbermöwe")
"Silbermöwe"-Class, S-Boat Class 149 with 2 x 20mm Hispano-Suiza-Guns on Double-Carriage
"Silbermöwe"-Class, S-Boat Class 149 with 40mm Bofors/L 70-Gun
The construction of the boats followed the fundamental criteria of the boats of the Kriegsmarine. At the time of the commissioning the boats "S 1" (Eismöwe), "S 2" (Raubmöwe) and "S 3" (Seeschwalbe) were armed with 2 x 20mm-guns/L 85 on double-carriage. The turnable torpedotubes were only mounted from 1958 onward. "Seeschwalbe" had instead of three Mercedes-Benz MB 518 A-Engines three Maybach-Diesel-Engines with Escher-Wyss controllable pitch propellers. All boats were equipped with the proven "trim rudders" which gave them an extra speed of approximately two knots than boats with the same hull and propulsion were able to obtain (Lürssen-Effect).
The boats "Silbermöwe", "Sturmmöwe" and "Wildschwan" had a spindle-formed antenna in the mast for detection of UHF-transmissions.
The boat "Seeschwalbe", P 6057, was taken out of the comman of the squadron on 01.10.1960 and substituted Schiffserprobungskommando (Ship Test and Evaluation Command). Upon the end of the tests it was reconstructed and substituted Unterwasserwaffenschule (Underwater Weapons School) as school-boat "UW 9" (HullNr. W 63) and decommissioned on 31.01.1964. After reconstruction and equipping it with gasturbines at Lürssen it commissioned again as test- and trials-boat "Wilhelm Laudahn" (Hull-Nr. Y 839) for Erprobungsstelle 71/72 on 10.08.1966. On 08.03.1973 it was finally decommissioned and laid up at MArs Kiel. After singling it out it was sold by VEBEG to a private person in the Netherlands on 29.01.1974. There it was put back to sea as "Grey Devil". During the night to the 01.01.1980 it was destroyed by an explosion in the boat and sank in the fishery-harbour of Bremerhaven.
The other five boats were handed over to Greece 1968.
"S 2" of the BGS witht 2 x 20 mm Hispano-Suiza-Guns/L 85 on double-carriage - Picture: Lürssen
Controlable-pitch-propellers, main-rudder, and "wing rudders" on "S 1" of the BGS - Picture: Lürssen