|S-Boats in the Bundesmarine|
S-Boats in the Bundesmarine 1956 - 1990
Schoolboats of the Underwater-Weapons-School
Two S-Boats of the Kriegsmarine-Type "S 100" owned by the Royal Navy, which had last served with Unit Klose (British Baltic Fishery Protection Service) under Flagofficer Germany were overhauled 1955/56 at Lürssen-Werft. They were handed over to the Bundesmarine in 1957 and commissioned as "UW 10" (ex "S 130") and as "UW 11" (ex "S 208") for the Marine-Unterwasserwaffenschule (MUWS) at Flensburg on 07.03.1957 respectively on 12.03.1957.
The former KM-S-Boats as "UW 10" and "UW 11" in the Navalbase Flensburg-Mürwik - Picture: Archives Förderverein
"UW 10" (ex "S 130")
The boat was commissioned as "S 130" for the Kriegsmarine on 21.10.1943 at Schlichting-Werft in Travemünde and sailed in the 9. SFltl to the end of war. 1945 she became British warloot and without anti-air-weapons and tightened torpedo-tubes commissioned for school- and trialpurposes as "Experimental Craft FPB 5130".
Instead of the original three Mercedes-Benz-Fourstroke-20-Cylinder Dieselengines MB 501 with 1875/2500 PS each the boat got three Napier-Deltic-Fourstroke-16-Cylinder Dieselengines with 1875/2500 PS each. 1948 the boat was decommissioned, but she was afterwards employed in fishery protection (British Baltic Fishery Protection Service) with German complement (Unit Klose).
1955/56 the boat was
given a general overhaul at Lürssen-Werft,
Vegesack, and commissioned on 07.03.1957 as "UW 10" for the
Bundesmarine. The boat got
two torpedotubes which could be traversed 10o
and were mounted amidships. Later the boat was renamed
and were mounted amidships. Later the boat was renamed"W 49" and the coutouts in the forecastle were closed. She sailed until her decommissioning on 15.08.1963 for the MUWS.
The former KM-S-Boot "S 130" as "W 49" - Picture: Archives Förderverein
After the Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung (BWB) had taken over the boat she was reconstructed as a trialboat by Husumer Werft and commissioned again as "EF 3" (later "Y 840") on 15.03.1968. Under the reconstruction the Napier-Deltic-Dieselengines were demounted and a MWM-Fourstroke-16-Cylinder Dieselengine with 600/640 PS was mounted. Instead of the kalotten-bridge the boat got a small bridgehouse. The boat sailed first for Erprobungsstelle 81 and later for Erprobungstelle 71, before it finally was decommissioned.
Thereupon it was laying up at Wilhelmshaven before it was bought by a British citizen who is restauring it in order to perform trips on the Solent. For this venture a kalotten-bridge as well as torpedotubes have already been demounted from the S-boat-wrecks in the Lunke-Bight/Denmark and brought to England. The engines of the former S-boat "Puma" (?), last under way as "Arthur of San Lorenzo", were demounted and are to provide the propulsion for "S 130".
"UW 11" (ex "S 208")
The boat was commissioned for the Kriegsmarine on 28.09.1944 as "S 208" at Lürssen-Werft, Vegesack. Until the end of war she sailed in the 11. SFltl. 1945 she became British warloot and was commissioned as "Experimental Craft MTB 5208" for school- and trial-puposes without anti-air-weapons and with tightened torpedo-tubes.
Instead of the original Mercedes-Benz-Fourstroke-20-Cylinder Dieselengines MB 511 the boat got two Napier-Deltic-Fourstroke-16-Cylinder Dieselengines with 1875/2500 PS each for the outer shafts. From 1951 on the boat was employed in fishery protection (British Baltic Fishery Protection Service) with German complement (Unit Klose).
1955/56 the boat was
given a general overhaul at
Lürssen-Werft, Vegesack, and commissioned as "UW 11" on
12.03.1957 for the Bundesmarine. The boat got two torpedo-tubes which
could be traversed by 10o
and were mounted amidships. The cutouts in the forcastle were
and were mounted amidships. The cutouts in the forcastle were contained. TheNapier-Deltic Dieselengines were removed and substituted by MB 511-Dieselengines. Later the boat was renamed "W 50". She served for MUWS until her decommissioning on 27.01.1964.
The former KM-S-Boat "S 208" as "W 50" - Picture: Archives Förderverein
The boat was singled out and was laying up at Wilhelmshaven "for disposition" until 1967 before she was used up as target-boat during firing-test in the Baltic.
The pictures about the last hours of the boat "W 50" (ex "S 208", ex "UW 11") we received from Mr. Christian Grahl from the archives of his deceased father.
The last Trip of ex-"W 50" Picture Bild: Archives Förderverein
Ex-"W 50" after being fired at by a Starfighter - Picture: Archives Förderverein
Ex-"W 50" on Fire after Shelling - Picture: Archives Förderverein
Ex-"W 50" sinking after Shelling by a Starfighter - Picture: Archives Förderverein