|S-Boats in the Federal German Navy|
S-Boats in the Federal German Navy 1956 - 1990
On completion of World War Two Germany was demilitarized. In the West former Kriegsmarine-members were sailing under allied Command in some units:
The German Minesweeping Administration (GMSA),
the British Baltic Fishery Protection Service (BBFPS) - also called Unit Klose,
both under British flag, and
the Labor Service Unit (LSU) under US flag,
under German flag the Bundesgrenzschutz-See (BGS-See).
These formed the personnel and material basis for the Federal German Navy.
On 12.11.1955 the Bundeswehr was established. The formation of the Navy started on 02.10.1956 with a training company. On 01.04.1956 the S-Boat-Training-Squadron was formed under command of Korvettenkapitän Hans-Helmut Klose.
In fall 1957 the following S-boats belonged to the Federal German Navy (Bundesmarine):
Two S-boats of the Kriegsmarine-Type S 100 (UW 10, ex S 130, und UW 11, ex S 208)
Ex-KM-Boats as "UW 10" and "UW 11" at Naval Base Flensburg-Mürwik - Picture: Archives Förderverein
and six S-boats of the "Silbermöwe"-Class (Class 149) (Eismöwe, Raubmöwe, Silbermöwe, Sturmmöwe, Wildschwan, Seeschwalbe).
Five of the six Boats Class 149 at Naval Base Kiel-Stickenhörn - Picture: Archives Förderverein
According to the requirements of NATO (Schuyler-letter) the German Navy was to
- contribute to denying hostile naval forces the breaking through to the North Sea via the Baltic Approaches or the Kiel Kanal,
- to obviate to a highest possible extent the soviet sea lanes in the Baltic,
- to take part in the allied defence of the German coast of the Baltic and the Danish islands,
- contribute to the preservation of the allied sea lanes in the German coastal waters and the adjacent sea areas.
In order to accomplish these goals NATO required inter alia 40 S-Boats.